Quake 1 is the best multiplayer FPS ever

jfeii

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
There is no doubt that Quake 1 is the best FPS game ever made. It is not just a game, it is a revolution. It changed the way we play, see, and create FPS games. It was the first game to use full 3D rendering, which allowed for unprecedented realism and immersion. It was the first game to have real-time lighting, which created dynamic and atmospheric environments. It was the first game to have online multiplayer, which opened up a whole new world of competition and cooperation. It was the first game to have modding support, which gave birth to countless creative and original projects. Quake 1 was not just a game, it was a platform.

Quake 1 also had a unique and captivating setting, inspired by gothic fiction and the works of H. P. Lovecraft. The game took us to a dark and twisted world, where we faced horrific and powerful enemies, such as zombies, ogres, shamblers, and the dreaded Cthulhu. The game had a rich and varied single-player campaign, as well as four expansion packs, two of which were developed by MachineGames. Quake 1 also had a legendary and influential soundtrack, composed by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Quake 1 was not just a game, it was an experience.

Quake 1 also had a robust and versatile engine, which spawned many sequels and spin-offs, as well as countless fan-made projects. Quake 1’s engine was used to create games such as Half-Life, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Portal, and many more. Quake 1’s engine was also used to create tools such as Garry’s Mod, Blender, and Unity. Quake 1’s engine was also used to create art, such as machinima, animations, and paintings. Quake 1 was not just a game, it was a legacy.

Quake 1 is still played and enjoyed by many fans today, thanks to its timeless gameplay and design. Quake 1 was recently re-released in an enhanced version, with improved graphics, sound, and features, for modern platforms. Quake 1 is a classic game that deserves its place in the history of FPS games. Quake 1 is the best FPS game ever made, and no one can convince me otherwise.

ciko3650

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Classic Doom or Quake?

Classic Doom (Doom 2 mainly) and Classic Quake are two of the most tightly designed shooters in my opinion, when the levels are good. Both games have alright levels in their base campaign, but really become master pieces when the community takes the core design and gameplay and transposes it on new sprawling techbases, labyrinths and castles.

For Doom, the community WADs such as Eviternity show how intricately designed Doom can be. The weapons, movement and enemies just mesh together so well. All the enemies in Doom are memorable and fun to fight with the incredible arsenal. The main gripe I have though, is that Doom is very hard to pick up and play. For me, I have to be in a mood to play Doom to enjoy it.

Quake on the other hand, with the addition of the third dimension becomes extremely fun to move and explore. The subtle acceleration mechanics and camera bob make it so fun to jump around castles and above the heads of rotweilers. Sure, this game does not have the definitive super shotgun, but I think the long time to kill helps this game. The game is designed around kiting high hp enemies in claustrophobic spaces. The rocket launcher, the GOAT, is perfecty balanced by it being extremely hard to use without killing yourself in tight spaces.

I think I prefer Quake over doom because of the combat and more 3D maps.