v1.6-v1.7 Why prestashop 1.7.8.5 so many bugs?

mymate20

Master
Diamond
Elite
XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I found prestashop 1.7 really too many bugs, I tested for one month every day have this or that kind of bugs, I think it is really hard to put it into production.
We are using shopware 5, it is very stable, but a little bit old and out dated. Shopware 6 cost too much.

Should I try to use 1.6x for prestashop? but it is also very old and can not support php 7.4 and mysql 8.0.
It is a headache choice.

mymate20

Master
Diamond
Elite
XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
Great explanation!!!

PS 1.6.1.24 working with php 7.4.30. But 1.6.1.24 very old.

Everyday I have to spend a lot of time on these bugs, and find a solution, but it seems never stable. Which version is the best and stable for prestashop?

Marc

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I'm still using PS 1.6.1.24, and it is working fine so far, and it is working perfectly fine with PHP 1.7.4.
I tried to upgrade it to PS 1.7, but there are many bugs, and the backend was too slow compared to PS1.6, which may be due to the database size, but PS1.6 is handling the same database much faster. So I decided to stick with the PS1.6 for now, I know that I'll have to upgrade at some point in the future, but for now, I'm happy with the PS1.6.1.24 version.

mymate20

Master
Diamond
Elite
XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I'm still using PS 1.6.1.24, and it is working fine so far, and it is working perfectly fine with PHP 1.7.4.
I tried to upgrade it to PS 1.7, but there are many bugs, and the backend was too slow compared to PS1.6, which may be due to the database size, but PS1.6 is handling the same database much faster. So I decided to stick with the PS1.6 for now, I know that I'll have to upgrade at some point in the future, but for now, I'm happy with the PS1.6.1.24 version.
OK, Good, Thank you for your information. I will install PS 1.6.24 instead of 1.7.

holms

Elite
XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I found prestashop 1.7 really too many bugs, I tested for one month every day have this or that kind of bugs, I think it is really hard to put it into production.
We are using shopware 5, it is very stable, but a little bit old and out dated. Shopware 6 cost too much.

Should I try to use 1.6x for prestashop? but it is also very old and can not support php 7.4 and mysql 8.0.
It is a headache choice.
I recommend Thirty Bees (work on php7.4, modules from Prestashop 1.6.1)
Version 1.3.0

mymate20

Master
Diamond
Elite
XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I recommend Thirty Bees (work on php7.4, modules from Prestashop 1.6.1)
Version 1.3.0
Never heard about this, too less users, I will not try. When I go back to 1.6, I found there is no theme for 1.6 version on themeforest now.
All theme only work on PS 1.7.

urernamer

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
php 8 soon supported on TB too ;) in 1.4v

rony

XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I work as a developer with Prestashop for 7 years, and comparing to 1.6, 1.7 version has much better performance by default. Also, new modules and themes mostly don't support PS 1.6 anymore. No security updates, no performance tune-ins. 1.6 is not bad, especially for those who already customized it, but in case of creating new website - it's a bad idea. ThirtyBees is an open-source fork of Prestashop 1.6, and it's good, but again, not as good as 1.7.
For those who tried to upgrade 1.6 to 1.7 - it's impossible to make it smoothly by pushing one button. Around 70% of modules are incompatible, the theme has a different structure, so the only right solution for migration - set up a new 1.7 Prestashop installation, set up a Theme, and then migrate products, categories, and customer data there.
Don't start with Prestashop 1.6 in 2022, so you won't have a headache with migration in several months.
Unless you know what you do.
Post automatically merged:

One more thing - Prestashop 1.7 latest version supports PHP 7.3 as a latest supported PHP version. So PHP 7.4 could work, but that may lead to some unexpected bugs like you notice "every day".

mymate20

Master
Diamond
Elite
XNullUser
Reaction score
NullCash
I work as a developer with Prestashop for 7 years, and comparing to 1.6, 1.7 version has much better performance by default. Also, new modules and themes mostly don't support PS 1.6 anymore. No security updates, no performance tune-ins. 1.6 is not bad, especially for those who already customized it, but in case of creating new website - it's a bad idea. ThirtyBees is an open-source fork of Prestashop 1.6, and it's good, but again, not as good as 1.7.
For those who tried to upgrade 1.6 to 1.7 - it's impossible to make it smoothly by pushing one button. Around 70% of modules are incompatible, the theme has a different structure, so the only right solution for migration - set up a new 1.7 Prestashop installation, set up a Theme, and then migrate products, categories, and customer data there.
Don't start with Prestashop 1.6 in 2022, so you won't have a headache with migration in several months.
Unless you know what you do.
Post automatically merged:

One more thing - Prestashop 1.7 latest version supports PHP 7.3 as a latest supported PHP version. So PHP 7.4 could work, but that may lead to some unexpected bugs like you notice "every day".

Thank you for your advice. I will try to use PHP 7.3 instead of PHP 7.4.